Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kids in the Kitchen - Five Ingredient Enchiladas

My grandmother started teaching me to cook as soon as I was old enough to hold a spoon. I was two and I would be sat upon the counter next to the stove to stir Rice Krispie Treats. So I think it is very important to start teaching kids early how to cook. I'm going to try to start a series of Kids in the Kitchen.  I know, I know, none of these pictures have my kids in them. But I promise to include them more in these. :) I've actually been trying to load these pictures for weeks, but they've been working on the cables in town, so my Internet was making it impossible. Glad to be back to share some good recipes.

Here are the whopping FIVE ingredients you will need to start:

1. Frozen burritos. I use bean and cheese, but use your favorite kind
2. Red enchilada sauce, large can
3. Slice black olives
4. Cheddar cheese
5. Green onions

Optional ingredients: sour cream and cilantro



I first start with a greased baking dish. Spoon a couple of tablespoons into the bottom of the pan. 

Spread the sauce all over the pan. 

Place the frozen burritos seam side down in the pan. Laying them in this pattern allows for the whole package to fit. Then spoon on sauce onto each burrito.

Oh, what the heck. Just pour the whole can over them. I also spoon sauce up onto the sides to make sure every inch is covered.

Shred your favorite cheddar cheese over the top. You can use pre-shredded cheddar or Mexican blend as well.

Sprinkle with olives. Sometimes I'll stop there if we have a friend over who doesn't want olives on theirs. 


However, my kids love olives, so I load them up! These definitely need the salty flavor of the olives to break up the beans.

I also like to add sliced green onions. This was my best crop out of my vegetable garden, so I love being able to use a fresh ingredient that I grew. It also lets me feel a little less guilty of using so many pre-packaged ingredients. But sometimes, that's just what us moms have to do.

Bake in the oven according to the package directions on the burritos. These cook at 375* for 35 minutes.  Just looking at this picture is making me hungry.


I like to serve mine with sour cream and cilantro on top. My husband likes to scoop as much of the extra enchilada sauce out of the pan as he can to put on top of his, especially since he's not a sour cream fan. I try not to judge.

So there you have it. It can be made in 5 minutes or less, and kids can surely do practically every step besides putting it in the oven maybe. Hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe- can't wait to try it!

    Love for you to stop by and link up to Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings going on now until Saturday at noon!! http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/crafts-for-under-twenty-somethings-4.html

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete